Sunday, September 9, 2012

Mark Twain and negotiation


"Always Do Right." Mark Twain

I saw a piece on CBS Sunday Morning on the financial problems of the home of Mark Twain, who is in financial trouble because of recently built a $ 19 million visitor center of dollars that could force them to close the home of Mark Twain. Ironically Mark Twain had to leave home because of its financial difficulties. Since I am from the Hartford area, I decided to visit the home of Mark Twain on my next visit. I did visit the home of Mark Twain last week and, for now, it seems it will remain open.

On this visit, I saw Mark Twain quote everywhere, not only to Mark Twain Home and Museum, but Twain quotes are on the wall at Blue Back Square shopping center, the new mall in West Hartford next to City Hall and the statue of Noah Webster, who was also born in West Hartford. Big River, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is playing at the Goodspeed Opera House close to East Haddam, Connecticut.

As I read and reread these quotes, I see how many are relevant to the negotiation and mediation. Here are a few:

1. "If I tell you the truth, no need to remember anything."

Notebook 1894

2. "Always do right. This gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Note to the Young Company 1901

3. If in doubt, tell the truth. "

Following the Equator, Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

4. The honor is a harder master of the law. "

Speech 1895

5. "There is nothing in the world like persuasive speech on drunk the mental apparatus."

The man that corrupted Hadleyberg

Mark Twain is even more relevant today. I plan to go back and reread some of these classics. I'm sure I lost some wisdom the first time around .......

No comments:

Post a Comment