Friday, August 24, 2012

Cricket the Gentleman's Game - Indian cricket team


Moving on from football, the passion of India, my joy and the game of eleven Fools (as George Bernard Shaw described it) cricket. I think few people in India do not know what it is cricket, and the rest are the millions of fools who are ardent followers of the men in blue (the Cricket BCCI sold Indian team to the nucleus). Cricket for many Indians (including me) is larger than life and the basis of life itself. Cricket in India is what football is in Brazil. Get a real fan of Indian cricket what he / she longs, lives and eats the most and he / she will say, "To watch India win the game!" (Accompanied by a big smile).

One of the happiest moments of my life has been to India to watch the World Cup finals in 2003. Unfortunately, 23 March 2003, however, turned out to be one of the saddest, apparently Ricky Ponting (Punter) had other plans, and as his nickname suggests better placed bets. Any error by the Indian cricket team captained by Sourav Ganguly very cleverly (Dada, Prince of Calcutta, the off-side God) saw me, and many Indians, on that fateful day in tears, in our "men in blue" Tri Colour-painted T-shirts and faces. Heartbroken we wiped the tears off and hoped that we would see that moment of glory that the generation before us had witnessed at Lords in 1983. That moment in which the underdogs, the Indian cricket team Kapil Dev has won the world cup against the then invincible West Indian cricket team.

Cricket my love, my passion and a really nice game. I say this because there are some things in life more beautiful for fans of Indian cricket Sachin Tendulkar of that beautiful car straight (down on the ground), or that immaculate Rahul Dravid square cut and do not forget the perfect time in units off-side from the off-side God of Sourav Ganguly. Makes cricket seem a touch romantic (Yuvraj makes cricket literally romantic, his female fans, is also great and very good at fielding joke, sorry ladies).

It is often said the Indians too emotional about cricket (I am accused of it), and the accusations are correct. I mean people get into the emotional life at some point of time. Life without cricket is unimaginable, sometimes I wonder why? Then I remember that cricket flows through my veins and I inherited the passion (like most Indians). I remember my life in two phases, one before the World Cup 1992 and the other after, courtesy Dad (although he admits that he loves cricket so much, maybe more). Cricket may not be reproduced in the dress of the gentleman again, but has lost little of its magic captivating .......

No comments:

Post a Comment